The Fleshers became an
incorporation in 1580 to regulate the affairs of those who provided
meat for the growing population of Glasgow. There were "provisions
for the inspection of meat, the punishment of malpractices in
connection with the selling of same "market dues of unfreemen
bringing their beasts to town and provisions against the throwing
out of bags, paunches and tripes upon the High Street"plus numerous
other rules. Times have changed and control of the meat market was
passed over to the City Council many years ago. The trading
monopoly of the Fleshers, along with those of all the Scottish
Incorporations, was abolished in 1846.
The Craft has preserved its strong
links with the meat industry and continues its charitable work for
those connected with it. It has a substantial fund for the benefit
of needy pensioners and a successful fund raising '400 Club'
founded to celebrate the Craft's 400th anniversary in 1980. There
is an active service group who organise theatre outings for
Like most of the Glasgow Crafts, it
elects 4 members annually to the Trades House.