The Trades House of Glasgow
Established in 1605 and now a registered charity the Trades
House and its 14 Incorporated Crafts have
helped shape Glasgow into the city it is today.
The Trades House manages funds in excess of £18 million and
donations of more than £750,000 are awarded annually to deserving
causes and individuals across the West of Scotland.
The House and its Crafts play a major role in training,
education, trade and industry through a variety of initiatives.
The Trades House of Glasgow is based within the Trades
Hall in Glasgow's Merchant City.
Scottish Charity no: SCO 40548.
Assisting schools, colleges and further education through various
competitions including School Craft and School Citizenship, Modern Apprentice
Awards as well as a four day Craftex exhibition at Trades
Education and Craft Skills
Each year, the Deacon Convener in office nominates a charity or
project to benefit from fundraisers promoted by the House. In 2018
funds will be raised for the Kinship Care Initiative, with
the main fundraising event being the Midsummer Ball on 23rd June
Helping the needy in and around the City of Glasgow
via The Drapers Fund and The Commonweal
Fund as well as visiting, providing assistance
directly and arranging social events for beneficiaries throughout
The history of the Trades House spans over 4 centuries and can be
found on the walls and throughout the Trades
Hall of Glasgow in Glassford Street, which, apart from the
mediaeval cathedral, is the oldest building in Glasgow still used
for its original purpose. Visit the virtual
museum for more details.